JASCO is always looking for talented individuals to enhance our capabilities and capacity. If you are a team player, truly believe that you can assist JASCO, and would enjoy our important work protecting marine environments, please send us a cover letter and resumé for consideration.
We are particularly interested in individuals with experience in:
- Marine biology
- Computer programming
JASCO also supports students and recent graduates trying to launch their careers. Resumés from outstanding students seeking co-op terms or internships are also welcome.
Send resumé to email@example.com
Position: Senior Bioacoustician
JASCO Applied Sciences is an international group of companies with over 30 years’ experience in the Defence, Oil & Gas, Renewable Energy, Environmental, and Oceanographic sectors. JASCO designs and manufactures autonomous and real-time data acquisition systems with a focus on passive acoustic sonar systems. We are a world leader in the science related to anthropogenic noise and its effects on marine life.
JASCO’s Science Team develops and supports a variety of acoustic data acquisition, processing, and display systems. The elements of software in these systems and stand-alone software applications include embedded acquisition and control software, real-time digital signal processing and implementation of localization, classification, and data fusion algorithms.
JASCO is currently looking for a Senior Bioacoustician to develop and test algorithms to automatically detect, classify, and localize marine mammal calls. The successful applicant will be involved with projects involving sound propagation modelling, acoustic data collection and analysis, and environmental impact assessment.
- Design, development, test, and maintenance of novel algorithms and digital signal processing techniques
- Conducting acoustic propagation modeling; analyzing the potential impacts of underwater sounds on marine fauna; and preparing reports and presentations on the findings
- Development of test data sets and validation procedures
- Writing and publication of scientific reports
- Assistance with the preparation of systems for field trials and acceptance tests
- Participating in field work, possibly in remote locations or at sea, in various locations worldwide, to collect acoustic data
- Underwater acoustics and ocean acoustic modeling theory
- Experience with population density estimation techniques from acoustic data
- Experience with Propagation models, particularly ray-based and PE-based models
- Experience with Interactive Data Language (IDL), Matlab, Java, XML
- Experience with localization theory and marine mammal vocalization analysis
- Experience with digital signal processing, and detection and classification theory
- Experience maintaining and operating gliders to collect underwater acoustic data
- Experience assessing impacts of sound on marine life an asset
- Must have a demonstrated ability to work within tight deadlines
- Willingness to spend time at sea or in remote locations conducting field work
- Strong planning and organizing abilities with excellent interpersonal skills
- A strong team player with the ability to work independently
Exceptional oral and written English skills
Minimum of Doctorate degree in Mathematics, Engineering, or Oceanography
- Competitive compensation package
- RRSP and health benefits program
Please send resumé to firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates being considered for an interview will be contacted.